What is Run An Empire
Run An Empire is a location-based strategy game for runners. Put on your running shoes and compete against your neighbours to command the mightiest empire. Build strategically, raid neighbouring kingdoms and ally with friends in a global, mass-participation, augmented reality world.
We’re passionate about creating a social, playful and immersive experience that gets people healthier. We’re a close team spanning product, business, development and design. We believe in making a true game that is rewarding, strategic and social whilst having a positive global impact on people’s health.
Summary of the Role
We’re looking for a mid-level or expert developer with strong server side experience to join our existing development team. You will be responsible for architecting the server side from day one implementing a change from Firebase to the best system for our needs, whilst working with the client-side team on the Unity code base.
- Leading the implementation of a custom server-side solution.
- Working closely with the development team across the entire technical stack.
Planning for scalability and performance.
- Structuring how we collect and present player data to derive insight.
- Assisting in optimising our development processes, including effective communication and collaboration across the whole team.
- Promoting a culture of innovation and quality within the development team.
- A deep knowledge of server side technologies with experience implementing your chosen language in a number of production contexts.
- Experience working as part of small team of developers and designers in a focused single product environment.
- The ability to prototype rapidly and learn from user feedback.
- A passion for building systems to scale; assessing the long term implications of development decisions
- Preferably some C# or Java experience
- Experience working in an agile and lean environment where data and user feedback are essential.
- Experience with tools such as: Git, Trello, Slack, Mixpanel, Heroku, AWS, Postgres.
- Excited at working in a start-up environment
- Ideally you have a degree in Computer Science, Maths or related subject.
- Nice to haves include: Unity3D experience, game studio experience, an interest in running, some knowledge of the Android and iOS platforms, good at Settlers of Catan.
- A fun & social working environment
- Salary based on experience
- Compensation package including options and pension
- A supportive environment to grow your skills including budget for personal development.
- The opportunity to progress to a leadership or management role.
- The chance to help shape a business from a very early stage, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technologies and skill sets.
- The chance to lead the technical architecture of the product from day one.
- Studio based in Somerset House at the heart of an artistic and creative hub called Makerversity (laser cutters! 3D Printers! Pub visits!)