Run An Empire
Run An Empire is a location based game for runners, joggers and walkers where territory is captured in the real world. Players are challenged to build the biggest empire in the neighbourhood and lead their people into the space age.
Background on the role
Run An Empire launched globally in October 2018 and is growing at 25,000 downloads a month. The game is written in Unity on top of an AWS Lambda built in Node.js. We’re hiring for someone excited about architecting a game server for the next 10 million users. Ideally you have experience with AWS, Node.js and a basic knowledge of Unity development, but most importantly you’re organised, caring and excited to join our ambitious team. Whether you’re just starting out, or an industry veteran, we’d love to hear from you.
- Working with the product and game design team to build new features.
- Maintaining and developing our serverless backend system.
- Implementing and maintaining partner services such as ad networks, analytics and fitness app integrations.
- Writing client code in C# to integrate with the backend.
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling the application to support load changes.
- Ensuring a high level of code quality.
- AWS (RDS, Lambda, API Gateway) and the Serverless framework.
- An understanding of mobile development, ideally using Unity3D.
- Experienced with Node.js.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Some knowledge of MySQL or other flavours of SQL.
- Experience of having worked in an SCRUM team or agile environment.
- Experience with games and mobile development.
- Extremely organised with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ahead of industry best practices on a product and development level. (Developing ideas for new programs, products, or features by monitoring industry developments and trends).
- Interest in free-to-play games.
- Being a runner is helpful but not essential.
- Happy working in a collaborative environment.
- Excited to work in a small, agile team.
- An understanding of GDPR compliant practices around security and data storage.
- The ability to write data queries and present to the team.
- Focus on efficiency, user experience, and process improvement.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Strong problem solving and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a group.
- A fun & social working environment in central London.
- Package includes share options and pension.
- A supportive environment to grow your skills including budget for personal development.
- The chance to help shape a business from a very early stage, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technologies and disciplines.
- Studio based in Somerset House at the heart of an artistic and creative hub called Makerversity (laser cutters! 3D Printers! Games nights!).
- Laptop provided.
- 33 days holiday and no expectation to work outside of regular hours.
- Flexible career progression within the games industry.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details on your interest in the role. A covering letter and C.V is great, but please feel free to apply in whatever way is convenient (links to projects or code, video, website, etc.)